Friday, August 13, 2010

Millions of peaches, peaches for me!!!

A friend of my mom's offered me some free peaches and I couldn't resist! I went over and cleaned out their peach tree. The peaches were on the verge of going bad, so they were pretty ripe and soft but I didn't care because it was jam making time!!! I wanted them to be soft anyways!

Here's my "little peach" helping me wash them!

Aren't they beautiful! I had never tasted such a "candy-like" fruit in my life!!!

I was first going to make Peach-Pinneapple-Raspberry Marmalade. The lady I got the peaches from gave me the recipe and IT IS DELICIOUS!!!

First you wash and mash your peaches then you add
5 cups of those peaches
7 cups sugar (I know it's a lot!) and
2 cups crushed pinneapple (just buy a large can of them already crushed in pinneapple juice!)

Mix that all together in a big pot and boil for 15 minutes.

Stir often and then add 1 6 oz. package of jello to the pot. (You can pick peach, apricot, orange or raspberry... I chose raspberry!)

Stir it all together on medium heat until the jello is dissolved.



Pour into sterilized jelly jars and seal. (I did a hot water bath for 10 minutes so that I could store it on my shelves, but you can skip that step and just put it in your freezer if you want!)

THAT'S IT!!! It was so easy and so yummy!

This recipe gave me 13 jelly jars of marmalade and I don't think it will last very long! :0)

This was breakfast for the girls and I the next morning!

They devoured every bite!



With some more peaches from the same tree I made Blackberry-Peach Jam! My sister has wild blackberry bushes on her property and let me have some! Together we picked about 4 quarts and so I was busy the following day making this jam!


Aren't they beautiful! God's creation is not only yummy but gorgeous!

This recipe was just as easy...

3 cups mashed peaches
1 1/2 cups crushed blackberries
1 package (1.75 oz) of fruit pectin
6 cups sugar

In a sauce pan mix together all but the sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat and stir constantly. Quickly add in the premeasured sugar and bring back to a full rolling boil stirring constantly. Cook for 1 full minute at a full boil (remembering to keep stirring!)

Remove from heat and fill sterilized jars. Again, I processed mine in a hot water bath for 10 minutes so I wouldn't use up all my freezer space!

I had enough peaches to make 3 batches of this jam and it gave me 34 jelly jars worth. (About 12 jars per batch.) I have so much now that I can share it with family!

If I made this recipe again, I would probably try to remove some of the blackberry seeds before mixing them in. (Just a thought for next time!)



No comments:

Post a Comment