Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Common Mom Phrases


I can't tell you how many times I've thought I was turning into my mom! I say things that she does, I'm starting to look like her and I act like her all the time. Is that a bad thing? No, I love my mom, but it does make me think that we all end up talking to our kids the same way and in the same tone eventually!! I found these "common mom phrases" and thought they were hilarious! I think I've said almost all of them, and if I haven't I'm sure I will!! :0)

(Oh, and I decided to throw in a few photos from a recent photo shoot with my Aunt... enjoy!)

Common Mom Phrase: “Wait till your father gets home!”

Translation: “I give up. I don’t know what to do with you anymore, so I am resorting to empty threats. We both know your father will do absolutely nothing when he gets home.”


Common Mom Phrase: “Because I said so!”

Translation: “I can’t really explain. What I asked you to do makes no sense at all. But I can’t back up now because it will make me look bad. So just do it because I said so!”


Common Mom Phrase: “Do as I say, not as I do.”

Translation: “I do not have the will power to follow these rules. I sure hope you do.”

Common Mom Phrase: “I am not your maid.”

Translation: “Of course, I AM your maid. It’s part of being a mom. But I wish it weren’t.”

Common Mom Phrase: “I hope someday your children will treat you just like you treat me.”

Translation: “I’m tired and frustrated. It’s your fault. I want revenge but I’m your mom so I have to suck it up.”


And my favorite – “I just want what is best for you.”

Translation: “I gave birth to you. I have earned the right to meddle.”

So, do these sound familiar to you too? :0)

2 comments:

  1. If I was told "just wait till your father gets home" I knew I was in MAJOR trouble and it would be major punishment. “I hope someday your children will treat you just like you treat me.” my mom said that a lot...but we get along great. I am thankful I had a good Godly role model.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! I love the translations. My favorite is the meddling one. I have three girls- it is my duty to meddle! :)

    ReplyDelete