Saturday, July 31, 2010

Beans & Bread...

There is nothing better than the sound of Pop, Pop, Pop in the middle of a hot summer day! What am I talking about? Canning your own veggies from the garden!! I spent my Saturday canning 14 quarts of green beans and baking 12 loaves of zucchini bread! (Amongst the usual chaos of a household full of babies!)

Here are a few pictures of the results!



Yes, this first loaf is 1/2 eaten! I had to have some while it was still warm! :-) The girls shared some with me too of coarse!

Canning and baking foods to freeze are a few of those things that take a lot of love and hard work, but it is so worth it in the middle of the winter! We can pull out yummy preserved foods that we know are organically grown and good for us!

My mom always canned our garden goodies when I was little and I can't say I ever appreciated what she was doing. As a child I just saw it as lots of work and didn't understand the financial and nutritional benefits it had for our family! I am now proud to follow in her footsteps and enjoy the process knowing it is benefitting my family in more ways than one! Thanks for your example Mom!

2 comments:

  1. Gosh Nicole! You are such an inspiration to all of us. I honestly don't know where you find the time or energy to do anything extra like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job Nicole. I'm snipping beans tonight and will can them tomorrow. I also have shredded zucchini in the freezer to make bread with soon. I make "chocolate bread". Replace 1/3 cup of the flour w/ baking cocoa and you have a healthy "chocolate cake". Grace does not know she's eating a veggie in her cake.

    ReplyDelete