Saturday, January 1, 2011

Toddler New Year Resolutions

So, 2011 is here! I don't make New Year resolutions. I find it awful that every diet program, gym membership and all sorts of sports equipment/clothing are all over the commercials and in stores this time of year. Why don't we commit to "being better" all year around? (anyways, that's a whole other blog...)

This year I was pondering the thought of what my children would make for New Year resolutions. I know they are only 8 months, 2 years and 3 1/2 years old, but it was fun to think about. Here is what I think they would say...

Jack (8 months) - "I want to be fully independent of my mom in 2011. I will stop nursing. I will learn to walk and run. I will learn to torture my sisters for all of the weird things they've done to me in my life, and will fully assume the role of 'pesky little brother!' I will also give up all forms of baby food! I'm tired of eating mush and blender-made food."

Mia (2 years) - "I will finish this potty training marathon I've started and be a big girl on the potty! I will join the local diaper derby race and beat every kid in town with my amazing running abilities! I'm tired of everyone calling me 'tiny' so maybe I will weigh more than 20 pounds in 2011 and grow out of my size 4 shoes!!! I'll put my attitude and 'spunk' to good use and stick up for my little brother when someone picks on him! I will turn 3 in 2011 and maybe stop giving Mom such a hard time about everything!"

Bailee (3 1/2 years) - "This year is going to be a big year for me! I can just tell that my vocabulary and education is going to blossom! I will stop throwing fits about every little detail and learn to reason a little bit better. I plan on attending our public school's Pre-K program in the fall and hope to make lots of new friends. I'm sure I will have a few things to teach the teacher, but overall I think it will be a great time for me! As my sister tries to keep up with me this year, I will have to stand my ground and make sure she is clear about who is the boss in our relationship. I will not back down and will continue to dominate as the older sister. (Don't tell Mom, but maybe I can be nicer to her as I learn to be kind and more mature.)"

Me (the "Mom") - (if I could choose some resolutions for my kids, this is what I would pick!) All fighting between children will stop. No more conflict. Things won't matter to you, just the memories we made together. Please sit quietly when I ask you to. Don't pick your nose. And leave the attitude on your pillows in the morning. But most importantly, don't stop smiling! Sometimes that's what gets me through my day!

Happy New Year everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment