Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A boring day & a big box

It's another day snowed in, so I decided to get a little creative with the girls. It involved a large box, a sharpie marker and some crayons. All I did was draw on a large box and let them color all over it. They had a blast and it entertained them for quite a while.

On one side of the box I drew a television. I made buttons, dials and an empty screen. They had to color in their favorite show and they decided to draw Angelina Ballerina... can't you tell!? :0)

The opposite side was a bunch of different foods. Fruits, veggies, milk, bread, eggs, etc... I wasn't sure if they would play grocery store or cooking, but the possibilities were endless.

The top was a simple stove outline. They already have a kitchen set, but I thought this might spark some creativity in their play beyond their usual kitchen set toys. I was right. It did spark all kinds of creativity!

Here are a few photos I snapped while they played...
Mia was very focused on coloring her bananas yellow!
 Jack was looking on from his pack n' play while Bailee colored some bread.
 This might be my favorite photo from the whole time... not because the girls were cute, but because Jack's expression was perfect. He wanted to be a part of the fun so badly! :0)
 Two crayons are better than one!
 Coloring Angelina Ballerina on the tv...
 Our fun time was not without a few fits and tantrums... ugh!
 Mia wanted to cook on the stove!
 They were busily organizing their groceries.
 Hmm? What should we cook first?
 Mia took a moment to say hi to Jack!
Overall the activity was fun, and sparked some fun conversations. The girls played house, restaurant, grocery store, they "watched" the tv and then had to fix it (with tools) because it broke, and they even played drive through McDonalds at one point. It was fun to watch their creativity and yes, I did take Jack out of the pack n' play once the crayons were out of reach! :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment