Monday, January 31, 2011

Playing with "non-toys!"

Have you ever thought about how much kids love to play with things that are NOT toys? My girls always ask to "do" the laundry, "cook" with me and play with items from around my house. So, to spark a little bit different type of play, I introduced a few props and let them use their imaginations! 

I simply put a dish cloth (aka table cloth) over a cardboard box, laid down some real (left over Christmas) napkins, 2 small paper plates, 2 large plastic cups, and a plastic veggie platter dish. They were so excited to have real mommy things from our kitchen that they played an extra long time with them. I didn't say, "Here girls, play kitchen." I simply put the props out and let them explore their own way! It was so fun to watch (and of coarse I took some photos!)
 Bailee was "snow white" that day, so she was all dressed up!


I challenge you to pull out some "non-toy" items from your home and allow your kids to play with them! Babies love wooden spoons and spatulas to chew on, bowls to bang on and laundry baskets to sit it! Toddlers will love going through your tupperware cupboard, "folding" your laundry, and reading magazines and newspapers you're done with. The older the child the more creative you can be, but go ahead and search your home for new "toys!"

Please share your ideas with the rest of us... I'm always looking for new things for our kids to do and play with!

No comments:

Post a Comment