Thursday, December 30, 2010

Uses for Lansinoh lanolin...

If you're a breast feeding mom, or have ever nursed your baby, then you probably have heard of or used Lansinoh lanolin ointment. It's a think vaseline type cream that you apply to your sore nipples when breastfeeding. It was a life saver for me when I started nursing my first baby, but did not need it for my second or third baby.

I was cleaning out my baby items the other day and came across a new tube of it that I had bought before having Mia. It doesn't expire and I hate to just throw things away so I researched what lanolin is used for. I was shocked at how many different things I could use it for! I am excited to try some of them!

The first and best use I found for it was to put it on cracked or chapped skin! Two of our kids have really dry spots on their faces that crack, dry up and get really sore. I cannot wait to try it on their dry spots and see if it helps!

Here are a few different uses I found... so, if you have any lanolin laying around, give one of these ideas a try!


1. Be used as lip balm.

2. Treat diaper rash.

3. Help heal minor cuts, burns and skin abrasions.

4. Soothe itchy stretch marks.

5. Replenish the lanolin in wool diaper covers and wool nursing pads.

6. Heal cracked, dry winter cuticles or wind- and cold-chapped cheeks.

7. Treat eczema.

8. Un-stick a stuck zipper.

9. Remove a too-tight ring from fingers swollen from pregnancy.

10. Moisturize dry and itchy skin on elbows, knees and heels.

11. Some sailors use lanolin to create a slippery surface on their propellers and stern gear to which barnacles cannot adhere. The water-repellent properties make it valuable as a lubricant grease where corrosion would otherwise be a problem.

12. Lanolin is often used by baseball players to soften and break in their baseball gloves (shaving cream that contains lanolin is popularly used for this).

13. Anhydrous lanolin is also used as a lubricant for brass instrument tuning slides.


14. Lanolin can also be restored to woolen garments to make them waterproof, such as for cloth diaper covers.

(I found all of this info at wikipedia.org and blisstree.com.)

1 comment:

  1. GOOD TO KNOW! I will totally use it on dry skin! I hate throwing good things out too!

    ReplyDelete