Monday, October 11, 2010

This is not what I signed up for...

When I was younger and I envisioned what motherhood would be like, this was the picture I had... 

We would wake up so happy in the morning and I would have smiling faces to greet me! "Good morning Mommy!" would be what I would hear! We would venture off to my nice kitchen where I would prepare a beautiful and healthy breakfast for my sweet children who are quietly playing in the other room. They would love every bite and smile with delight while they politely cleaned up and replied with a kiss and a "thank you mom!"
Instead this is what I have...

I get woken up in the morning by children screaming over the monitor "I'm awake! Come get me now!" I drag myself out of my bed with bags under my eyes to change dirty bed sheets that have been peed in. I have 2 girls that are screaming at each other 5 seconds later because one of them doesn't want their diaper changed and the other one wants to cuddle me. They each get a time out within minutes of being awake and often get sent back to their beds where they scream and carry on.

I then head off to my dirty kitchen where the dishes from the night before overflow in the sink and I make myself go through the motions of pouring cereal into bowls. It's a battle to get the 2 girls to come to the table and I end up making them sit down only to hear, "We don't want cereal!" After a long 'discussion' about eating what you are served and being grateful they take a few bites. My 2 year old decides that she's a big girl and can stand up in her booster seat while eating and spills her whole bowl. Milk goes everywhere.

While cleaning up the mess, the baby wakes up crying from the bedroom. I run to his rescue to see change his diaper and listen to the girls argue about who's cup is blue and who's is teal. When I return to the dining room the girls exclaim that they are done and begin to demand to be washed up so they can get down. I place the baby in his exersaucer and have a feel guilty because I'm putting him down already. I didn't even have the chance to kiss him good morning yet!

While the girls venture off to find trouble and make a mess I am left with half eaten bowls of soggy cereal, dirty dishes and no one says thank you. I clean up some of the kitchen when the baby reminds me that he hasn't eaten his breakfast yet, so I nurse him while refereeing the other two. One thought runs through my mind... will I get breakfast before 10:00?
The first scenario might sound a little too picture perfect, but it's the real idea I was given by so many moms out there. I would watch people in their homes and couldn't wait to become a mom so I could have wet slobbery kisses and hear my children's sweet voices say "I love you!" I do get those once in a while, but my day seems to be filled with more nagging and disciplining than anything else lately. And this is not what I signed up for!

So, I guess this is just my way of warning all you moms-to-be or new moms out there. Don't be surprised if there are days when you want to call it quits! Those days will come. Those moments will happen when all you want to do it run away. You will cry yourself to sleep sometimes and you are not alone! We've all been there... and if you haven't been, then just wait, tomorrow is coming!

Now don't get me wrong. You will always love your kids and their kisses will always melt your heart, but don't be surprised when they don't smile sweetly and say "thank you" after breakfast!!!

1 comment:

  1. Your story melted MY heart! Honesty is always SO refreshing to me, and encouraging to all who are struggling and don't know that others are, too!
    Thanks, Nicole!
    Keep on doing all the good you are doing every day! You are inspiring us! =o)
    ~Joanna

    ReplyDelete