Saturday, October 16, 2010

Lobster Monsters

On Friday night we had a lobster dinner at my parent's house. If I say nothing else, I should say thank you to Mom and Dad. It was soooo yummy and I couldn't remember the last time I had lobster and clams for supper! :0) Thank you!!!
Not only was it so yummy, but it was also very entertaining! My girls had never seen a lobster cooked and eaten before, so the comments they made were hilarious!

When we first got there the lobsters were still alive and we asked my Dad to pull one out so the girls could see it... their eyes lit up when they saw them come out of the bag. The lobsters were wiggling around and Mia grabbed onto my mom with all her might. "No thank you, " she replied! Bailee thought it was cool since she had seen them in the grocery store swimming around many times, but she was still very cautious!!

My Dad then plopped the lobsters into the hot pot of boiling water and they both looked like they were going to cry. I don't think they understood what we were doing. I said, "we're going to cook them and eat them!" Then the look of horror came across Bailee's face.

Once we sat down to eat, Bailee started to cry, "Mama, I don't want to eat the lobsters!" I told her she didn't have to but when I started breaking the shell apart and taking bites she looked soooooo concerned! "No Mama, don't eat him!" We all laughed because she had already grown attached to that living creature.

At one point Bailee also said, "Pee-u! It stinks," while she waved her hands in the air! She couldn't stand the smell and kept on commenting about it all night.

When I got up from the table to get something she had a little panic attack because she didn't want to be left alone with the lobster staring at her. She cried, "Don't leave me here with that lobster!" And she actually leaned over away from the table so she wouldn't have to be so close to it! :0)

Here are a few fun pictures from the night...
Here's Tom trying to break the shell open...

 Auntie Dawn Dawn and Alana enjoying family time!

 Tom showing the lobster to Mia! To me, this picture describes the whole night! She looks unsure and scared! She actually leaned away from him!

 Alana wasn't afraid of it at all (she's seen lobster many times before). She was actually petting it! (No, she didn't eat it, that was her mom's plate!)

 Dad was in seafood heaven!

 Uncle Mike giving the lobster a little loving! kissy kissy! :0)

It was a fun night to be together as a family! I just hope we didn't traumatize our girls too badly! I don't think they had ever seen something start alive, be cooked, and then eaten all in the same day! :-) Tom's comment was, "They must think we're so barbaric!" I laughed because that's probably exactly what they were thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment