Monday, October 18, 2010

Do you have "only Facebook friends?"

I LOVE Facebook. I find it so convenient to type in anyone's name and send them a quick message, reply to a question, or just check on their "status." Okay, I guess it's really all about just being nosey, but I find it fun to peek into someone's life and snoop around without them knowing.

Oh, come on, you feel the same way too. I'm just the only one saying it out loud!

I also find Facebook extremely helpful for me, as a stay-at-home mom, to feel connected with the world. I can set up play dates for my kids, I can chat with other moms that need support, and I can use my "adult words" and form complete thoughts while sending someone a quick message. 

There is only one thing that I find awkward about having friends on Facebook. Some of those "friends" are "only Facebook friends." Do you know what I mean? 

The term "friend" that Facebook.com uses is pretty broad to me. Not everyone on my "friends" list is an actual real life friend. Some are relatives, some are previous co-workers, some are classmates, and some are simply acquaintances. 

So, what's awkward to me is when you meet one of those "only Facebook friends" on the street or in the store. What do you say? What do you do? Should you look away or approach them? We've all been there, right? Or am I the only one?

It's kind of tricky because you know about their whole life (because they've posted a status for every event they've ever participated in) but you don't really know them personally. You comment on all of their statuses and photos, but you haven't spoken face-to-face in years. So? Again, what do you do?

This actually happened to me last week. (I'm not going to say where I was, or who I saw because that person might actually be reading this!) I saw an only Facebook friend in the distance and we made eye contact, but that person turned away. Neither of us said anything and I wasn't sure what to do. Should I turn around and be my usual friendly self, or does that person not want to chat. I chose to just keep walking and pretend that it never happened. But that bothered me. I'm a naturally outgoing person, so to ignore someone that I'm supposed to be "friends" with seemed cruel and rude. 

So... I'm curious if this has ever happened to you and what you've done about it? Please share with me your thoughts and if you're one of my only Facebook friends that wants to be ignored please tell me so I don't feel so badly next time it happens! =0)

3 comments:

  1. First of all I want to say... this FB acquaintance would enjoy seeing you in person and talking to you, so please don't ignore me. :) If we ever get the chance, and I appear to turn away, it's because I didn't see you.

    And... maybe that person who turned away is shy in person? Or maybe they were having a bad day? Sometimes there are days I don't have what it takes to engage someone in conversation because I don't want to cry all over them or something like that. Or maybe they were in a hurry? Or insecure? Anyway, just some thoughts so you don't keep clinging to the cruel/rude rejection scenario. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to chat too Tracy! :0)

    I didn't mean that the other person was cruel or mean, I meant that I felt rude. I hope it didn't sound like that. I was the one that wanted to turn around and change the whole thing. Sorry if it sounded that way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok...I'm TOTALLY glad you wrote this! For a couple reasons. #1) you mirrored my thoughts exactly! I LOVE FB, especially during the day, because it makes me feel "connected". I sometimes think people with think I'm a loser and sit on the computer all day and neglect everything else! haha. Not so much. It's pretty easy, actually. Especially when I'm working in the kitchen, {which is a lot b/c it's my fave!}, but because I'm wireless, my laptop can go with me wherever I want it to. So, I prefer to think of it as multi-tasking. :) #2) I guess technically you & I are not FB friends, but we really kinda are. But I would SO talk to you if I saw you...not to worry. :o)

    ReplyDelete