Thursday, October 28, 2010

Girls and gourds!

A few days ago Bailee and Mia were irritating me and were wandering around the house making trouble. There was a problem... they were bored. We have TONS of toys, but sometimes they just need a little direction and/or something new to play with. This was one of those days. I suggested all sorts of things for them to do and none of them seemed exciting enough. Therefore they kept wandering around, fighting with each other and getting into trouble. 

Finally Mia asked to play with my little pumpkin. I knew what she was talking about, but I didn't know why that would interest her. (It was a mini pumpkin that I had grown in our garden this year. It sits in a bowl on our counter top with other gourds for decoration.) She asked several times before I let her hold it. She ended up carrying it around the house for about 10 minutes with out putting it down. She was patting it, rubbing it and holding it close to her. She clearly was enjoying loving this little pumpkin. 

Then I got an idea. Why not let them play with all of my gourds? I didn't care if they broke and it might just spark some creative play. Anything was better than them being bored and bugging me! So, I put them on their little play table and their imaginations took over!

I love this picture of Bailee. She is dressed in her usual princess outfit and was exploring the gourds surfaces. She kept touching them and saying things like, "bumpy, smooth, hard, yucky, and pointy." 

They asked lots of questions about them and wanted to know what the stem was called. 
Here is Mia patting one of the little ones. 
 "Wow Mom, a yellow one!" She was so excited!
 I thought it was so neat that Bailee was also sorting them. She kept categorizing them by color, shape, size and levels of bumpiness! 
 They had a blast and I got a break for a few minutes! Maybe I'll let them play with more of my decorations another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment