Tuesday, October 19, 2010

How can I "be in the moment?"

Kids live in the here and now. They want immediate gratification and everything revolves around the present. If they are hungry, they want to eat NOW. If they want something, they want it NOW. That is the mind set of any small child.

As adult we live in the future. Planning out what might come next. Worrying about finances, our kid's education, and what our plans are for tomorrow. It might be even as simple as thinking about what's for dinner tonight. It's always about the next best thing.

Because of that, my kids and myself are always in two different mind frames. It's hard for me to sit down and just "be" with my kids. It's a challenge for me to actually sit still and focus on what's happening at this very minute instead of what might happen in an hour, tomorrow or even next year. My focus needs to change!

I need to find more time in my day to just "be" with my kids. I find myself always looking ahead instead of looking down into my children's faces. They won't be standing at my feet forever wanting to read that special book so I need to remember to slow down and take it all in.

Everyone tells me that these years will fly by and that I will miss the "baby stage" of parenting, so I need to make a more conscious effort to be in the "now moments" instead of always thinking about the next best thing.
When was the last time you were "in the moment" with your children? 


“I'd rather have a moment of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special.” -Author Unknown

2 comments:

  1. This was good, Nicole. I've been feeling the very same things lately about just stopping what I think I need to be doing and just enjoy Alex. I'll never only have just one child to enjoy again..I'm sure it gets more complicated to pay as much attention to a baby when you have more than 1 kiddo. So, I just want to enjoy this time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! That's how I ended up doodling on pictures with the Wii yesterday :) When Ada says "Mom, will you snuggle me?" I know I've been doing my own thing for too long!

    ReplyDelete