Friday, October 15, 2010

My advice to any new parent...

I am in the season of life right now where it seems like I attend a bridal or baby shower every other weekend. I am not complaining, I actually enjoy it! It gives me a day out of the house and I love the social. Plus, I would much rather be at this stage of my life, rather than attending funerals all the time like my grandparents.

I love the fresh start that these new brides-to-be or moms-to-be receive when they are pampered and encouraged by their friends and family. You play the same corny games, you eat the same finger foods, and you watch the special gal open tons of gifts. But there is something special about the excitement in the air.

There will soon be a husband or a baby entering their world and it's such an exciting time. In-laws and grandparents are born and life changes, A LOT! I loved that "honeymoon" phase of marriage but the magic quickly wears off. I also loved that first few weeks of being a mom when nothing could possibly go wrong because all you do is hold your newborn baby for hours, but that quickly changes too!

Life gets busy and you have to purposely make time to nurture those important relationships in your life. That's why I always give a bride-to-be or mom-to-be the same advice. (There are often advice cards passed around at showers where you can share your "wisdom" with the guest of honor, and I always share the same thing!)

Go on dates & keep holding hands!!!
That's it! It's that simple. I have to remind myself of those things often too, but I guarantee if you keep "dating" your spouse and hold his hand often your relationship will blossom.

Now don't just sit at the same table in a restaurant and go through the motions of going on a date, but actually "date" each other. Just like when you were dating in high school, college, or after!

Think about it. If you have kids you know how hard it is to even have a simple conversation without getting interrupted, so imagine having a few hours alone to talk. Not just chat about your day, but really share your intimate thoughts and dreams together. Communication alone will liven up any marriage! And a strong marriage will make you a better parent!

Every woman desires to be pursued. Not just while dating, but in marriage too. We want to be wanted and needed by someone. Often times our kids need us 24-7, but it's our husbands that make us feel special and loved. So, if you haven't gone on a date lately, do it! It can't hurt and don't forget to hold hands. It's so easy to take our spouses for granted, so squeeze his hand a little tighter next time and give him a wink! ;-) And watch out, he might just wink back!

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Nicole! Really funny timing. Just yesterday I was reading some old emails from the months before Aaron & I were married. Every email was just full of adoration for each other and as you said, the "magic" eventually wears off. So, when he came home that night and I asked him if we loved each other as much now as we did then. He said he loves me more...because now he sees my flaws and STILL loves me!! :) I thought that was pretty good & true.

    ReplyDelete