Monday, June 14, 2010

Princess Invasion!

When I was pregnant with our first daughter, I used to have discussions with my husband about things we would and wouldn't do with our kids. One of the topics of discussion was often about the Disney princess garb and toys that are out there. We did not want our daughters to be obsessed with the fairy tale world that would only harm them by planting unrealistic expectations in their little minds!!!

Well, I have to formally apologize to all the moms out there that I have secretly criticized for letting their daughters be "princesses!" You're probably wondering what exactly that means? Because I used to look at the Disney Princesses as evil beings, I thought any mother that let their daughter own any piece of princess clothing or toys were awful parents!

Now... I have to admit that those very Princess characters have completely invaded our home! You cannot look at my two girls without seeing a princess tiara, high heel shoes or a Cinderella t-shirt on them!!

Especially my oldest daughter Bailee, who just turned 3, is obsessed with being
a princess! She runs around putting "spells" on her siblings and dolls with her magic wand saying, "mirror mirror on the wall" just like in Snow White. Every time she dances in the living room, she insists that her little sister Mia is "her man" (aka the prince) and that she is Cinderella and that they are getting married. And my favorite, yesterday she told me that she was the mean stepmother, not the fairy good mommy! (She has shown concern for Cinderella in the movie, but apparently likes to be the evil step mother instead of a nice fairy God Mother! yikes!!!)

For Bailee's 3rd birthday I actually bought 5 Disney Princess books, some new dress up high heel shoes and threw her a "princess" party! Talk about going over-board with a theme! She had pink plates and napkins, she had princess balloons, and was allowed to wear
her favorite dress (that she calls her princess dress!) This photo is of Bailee at her birthday party! She had gotten some princess jammies from her grandparents, she was thrilled!

So, as you can see I've changed my mind about the Disney Princess obsession that some little girls have! I love my daughters and I guess that means they can play princesses if that's what they like! Instead of viewing them as evil, I now see it as a magical pretend experience. So, this is my public apology to all those moms out there that I once saw as insignificant, because I am now on your side!!! :0)

6 comments:

  1. Hey NIcole...Isn't it funny how what our children want and think is fun totally changes our thinking!!!! It ought to be interesting too because Sarah swears that Natalie isn't going to have any of the cartoon characters..ie Dora, Minnie Mouse, etc..on her clothes...but, like your girls, I am sure Natalie will like them at some point and she will have to change her way of thinking too :) Love looking at your pics...your children are beautiful, your husband seems wonderful and you are an amazing mom!!!! Nice to see you so happy :) Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sit here chuckling at you Nicole! :) You're such a sweet family and I love reading more about them. Trust me, Grace was VERY into the Disney princesses and I don't think she has been harmed by them in any way. LOL It's all about balance and I think you're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! Nicole I could not agree more! ( with the beginning of your post) hahaah I swear that Natalie is not going to be a princess either! And I cant stand all the clothing with characters on them!!! Im sure Ill end up changing my mind one of these days... but for now.... =) haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wait Sarah, you'll change your mind. You might not like it, but when it comes to our kids, we would do anything! :)

    Melissa and Missy~ Thanks for the nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you ever seen or read A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett? I think you'd like it and change also the part you thought about unrealistic expectations. :o) well, the end of the book is perhaps a bit unrealistic at that but still--being a princess is more in how we behave. Besides if our King is Jesus then we are, in fact, princesses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lyn, I've seen the movie, I liked it very much! ;0)

    ReplyDelete