Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Forever 29!

Hand made clothes and hand written letters seem to be a thing of the past! Rarely do you see these things anymore, but they are a few of the things that I cherish! I sometimes wish I lived in the day and age when there were no computers and no Wal-Mart to visit. It would make things much more simple and wholesome, but also more challenging!

There is one person in my life that I can think of that still values these simple things in life, my Great Aunt Medora. She is an amazing lady that I love dearly! She has always put others first and is like a Grandmother to me!

In this picture she is holding my son Jack and my 2 girls and niece are standing next to her. I LOVE her shirt! At every birthday she has always told us that she is 29 again! I have no idea how old she is exactly, but it doesn't matter because her sense of humor keeps her young! :0) To me she will always be "forever 29!"

While I was away at college, she never forgot about me and sent me handwritten letters. I was a pretty busy college student, but it always meant so much to me that she would sit down and write out a card or letter to me. It made me feel so important and loved. E-mails are nice but very impersonal, so when someone takes the time to write out a card, that means the world to me. I tried really hard to always write back, in hopes that she would respond again... she always did!

She still sends notes to me once in a while through the mail, even though we only live 5 minutes away from each other. She probably doesn't even know that it means that much to me, but for someone to take time out of their day and send some love through the mail is rare now-a-days!

After my son was born she came over for a visit bearing gifts. That might not seem like a big deal; most people bring gifts to babies after they are born. These gifts were different. She had saved clothes from when her grandson was born (18 years ago) and gave them to Jack. She said she had saved them all this time for "someone special." One of those items was a handmade sweater that she made her grandson when he was a baby. For her to pass those special items on to me was a honor and a privilege!

I will always cherish my memories with my Aunt Medora! She is an amazing lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment