Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Doubting Thomas

When I was in middle school I met the love of my life, but I NEVER would have admitted it then! Come on, don't give me a hard time, we were in middle school! His name is Tom, my husband!

He said last night in a conversation, that he wants to be the topic of one of my blog posts! So, here it goes.... (I have his permission!)

I'm not sure where to begin honestly!
I guess I'll start at the beginning, middle school! We met at our local church youth group and became friends right away. We slowly got to
know each other and had lots of fun making memories through our high school years. The summer before our senior year in high school we decided that we should try dating. Why not? We had lots of fun together and we were great friends. (well, I guess he was also head-over-heels in love!) I wasn't quite ready to have such a serious relationship, so I broke up with him! WHAT? You're probably thinking what a cruel girl... well, the story isn't over... give me a chance to explain! I was your typical high school senior that wanted to "see the world," "live my life," "explore my options..." etc.

When we graduated from high school we went off to college and both went our own ways. It wasn't until our Sophomore year in college that he caught my eye again! (I'm leaving out all the awful details of the relationships I was in and out of through those few years!) Tom and I started hanging out quite often and eventually began dating once again. In that span of time, he never dated another girl. This humbles
me and makes me appreciate his loyalty all the more! He always said that he knew I was "the one" from the beginning!

He proposed in November of my senior year of college. We were married that summer after and the rest is history! We have now been married for 5 years and have 3 beautiful children! We own our own home, have a minivan, but no white picket fence! ;-) But those things are not what makes our marriage so wonderful...

Tom is so much more to me than all of those things combine! Our marriage isn't based on our home, children or personal belongings... it's based on our commitment to each other and to our God. Tom is an amazing provider and works so hard for our family, and I love him for all of that, but I love him for much more than his paycheck and hard work!

He is a Godly man that guides and directs our family, he is always honest with me, he is an amazing father to our children, he sacrifices so much to give us everything we need, and he makes our family his priority! And if I ask, he also will do the dishes,
bathe the kids, vacuum the floor, take out the trash, and any other little chore that needs to be done (without complaining!) In my opinion we make the best team!!! (over my kitchen sink I have a sign that says, "Real Men Wash Dishes!" and I believe every word of it!)

Those are a FEW reasons why I love him! He has been a gift from
God and I could go on for hours of why and how he has made my life more complete! I love you Tom and
I hope our love continues to grow and grow and grow until way after we are rocking our grandchildren on our front porch!!! (and even after that!)

p.s. The only reason I titled this post "Doubting Thomas" was because he couldn't believe I started a blog! I think he doubted that I had the time, energy and smarts to create one! And part of that is true, he has been a huge help with the tech part of it! (he's my I.T. man!) I didn't even know what a hyperlink was until he told me! Thanks for your help Tom!!! I hope you still aren't "doubting" me!!! :-)


3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful love story :) You are truly a "match made in heaven"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be your IT man, your garbage man, dishwasher, child bather, any kind of main you want me to be! It is true, I began to have an eye for Nicole in middle school and had always known that i was going to marry her one day. She makes it effortless to love her because of what she means to me and our family! Thanks for your love and support and taking care of our amazing and beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! I'm a sucker for High School love stories because that's also when Aaron & I met and started dating.. With a loooooooong pause in between breaking up and getting married! :o) It's totally amazing what God can do with our marriages when we follow His plan and submit to the biblical "hierarchy" in the home. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete