Friday, June 18, 2010

Happy Father's Day Dad!


Because Father's Day is this weekend, I thought I would share this fun story about my amazing Dad! He has been such a great role model and Godly example for me, my husband and my children, Thanks Dad!!

I'll never forget this day....

It was a very hot summer day and my Mom had gone away for the day. So, that meant Dad was in charge! I was about 12 years old and my sister about 10. My Dad had a great idea and decided to take his two little girls on a small hike! Oh what fun memories we would make! He told us to put on our sneakers (great thinking Dad!!) and off we went! What a great hot summer day it was! I'm not sure if we had sunscreen on or not, but it didn't matter because Mom wasn't there to worry about that! It was just us girls and Dad! :0)

So we drove to the "hill" and started to hike. Well we quickly realized that this "hill" was more like a rock covered mountain! Oh well, Dad kept telling us that we were almost there! I believed him and kept on moving. After the 8th time or so of Dad saying, "come on girls, we must be almost to the top," I stopped believing him!

We got to a nice a place to sit and rest, so we stopped for a few minutes. Dad had brought us some water bottles, so we tried to get rehydrated and rest our legs. I remember my stomach growling and thinking that it must be lunch time! So we asked Dad if we could eat our lunch now, and his facial expression said, "uh oh!" To make a long story short, Dad had forgotten to pack us a lunch and thought we would be done hiking before we needed to eat! Luckily up ahead there were lots of little blueberry bushes that we cleaned out! I think we ate every blueberry in sight; and then picked the rest for Mom to make us a pie!! We definitely made some memories that day, just not the kind I think my Dad had intended!! To this day we harass Dad about not feeding us and making us climb this ridiculously hard trail, but I still love him for spending the day with us and taking the time to be with his girls!

Thanks Dad for the fun memories, and the future memories that I know we'll continue to make together! Happy Father's Day!





1 comment:

  1. i just read this to dad and he laughed hard/giggled - he wants everyone to know (he admits it now) that he was tired and very hungry too. he did feed his little girls pizza as soon as they got off the mountain :O)
    good memories for him too - dad wants to know if you want to go for a walk up a small hill next weekend with him? he loves his girls!!!

    ReplyDelete