Friday, December 3, 2010

Do you think Joseph drove a Hummer?

My children's favorite new toy of the season is our Little People Nativity Set! We've had it for a few years, but I put away during the "off" season and take it back out from Thanksgiving to New Years. It gets stored with our Christmas decorations every year so that I don't forget to bring it out. The kids love it! I have blogged about Little People before because I love how they grow with your child. Babies love to chew on them, toddlers love to line them up and knock them down, and preschoolers love to do dramatic play with them.

Bailee's new found love is the Baby Jesus Little Person. (In fact, she calls the whole nativity set, her "Jesus People.") When the girls play with them, she wants to be the one to hold Baby Jesus the whole time!

A few days ago, the girls were setting up their usual wise-men, shepherd and manger scene when Bailee ran into the other room and came back with the Little People minivan. She sat it down and proceeded to place Mary in the drivers seat, Joseph in the passenger seat, and Baby Jesus sat in the back. I giggled to myself to think that Mary didn't have it that easy... the donkey was a much bumpier ride!


The whole thing was purely innocent and cute, but it made me stop and think about what the nativity scene would look like today. Would Joseph be driving a Hummer with a GPS system installed instead of leading a donkey? Would Mary be wearing the most up-to-date and fashionable maternity clothes instead of a rag? Would Baby Jesus be born in a state-of-the-art hospital instead of being laid in a manger filled with dirty hay? Would dirty shepherds be allowed in to visit? Would the wise men's gifts be stolen on their way to see Jesus?

What a world we live in now. I love the simplicity and the purity of the nativity scene. God sure had his hand in the whole thing and I am grateful that we can look back at that beautiful scene in the stable!

No comments:

Post a Comment