Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Basement Overhaul!

We've been living in our house now for 15 months and it seems like every time we move things get left in boxes. (I'm sure anyone who has moved can relate!) Things that don't get used very often, things you forget about, or things you don't like, get left in a pile in the basement and never cleaned up! That had happened to our basement and I was tired of the mess. We had things "organized" in piles and in moving boxes, but I couldn't get to anything easily. It was driving me crazy!

Sooooo.... Tom came up with a design for some storage shelves! I am a organization freak, so I was thrilled! I love storing things in large rubbermaid totes, so we made the shelves the correct dimensions for those bins and it's wonderful! Here are a few before and after shots...

Because we had to clear out the wall that the shelves were going on, Tom piled, yes PILED, everything together! This is the mess I had to organize when the shelves were finished...

Here are the shelves done, but empty...
And here is the finished product! All of my labeled storage bins are so easy to get to now!
Tom also added on a work bench so he would have space for his junk, I mean, tools!
 I do a lot of canning, so for right now all of my canning jars, supplies and canned foods are on this shelf, but eventually Tom will build me another similar shelf for all of it!
 We used the girl's old carpet from their bedroom for the floor and turned the previously messy area into an extra play space for the kids!

Thanks Tom! I am so happy with my new shelves! :0) 

3 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! I bet it feels good to have the new play space too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing! Love the storage. I agree with you...I love having everything neatly labeled & organized. However, apparently basements are something they don't do in the South!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sue and Holly. Yes, Holly the play space is great, and Sue I can't imagine not having a basement! It's where all of our junk gets thrown! :0)

    ReplyDelete