Monday, November 22, 2010

Confessions of a clock freak!

Okay, I have a confession to make. I LOVE clocks. Not because they might be pretty or neat looking (I really don't care what they look like), but because I HAVE to know what time it is at all times! I'm kind of obsessed with it and some might call me obsessive compulsive about knowing the time.
I wear a watch and if I leave the house without it on, then I have a little mini panic attack.

Usually the first thing I do when I arrive at a new place is look for the clock. If there is none, then I use my trusty watch often.

I love buildings that have digital clocks on them! Whoever thought of that is a genius!
When camping or spending nights at other's houses, I have a light-up battery operated clock that I leave RIGHT next to me the whole time.

I have two digital light up clocks in our bedroom. Most people would assume it was because we need two alarm clocks, but I wake up with the kids, not an alarm. My reasoning for two clocks is so that it is easier for me to see them at night. If I'm facing my clock then I can easily see the time, but if I'm rolled over I just have to glance over Tom instead of turning around. Lazy? Maybe, but I like to know the time at ALL times!

If you've ever been to my house, you will notice that there is a clock in just about every room of the house. (Currently Jack's room is the only room in the house that doesn't have a clock.) Even the bathroom has a clock in it!
I may have passed along this obsession to my daughter. There has been lots of evidence of that lately and I'm not surprised. From the time she was a little baby I've had a clock in her room. It was easier to know what time it was if we were in her room playing if there was a clock there already. It definitely beat running to the living room every time I need to see a clock. Therefore, she's always seen clocks in our house and probably watched me look at them every couple of minutes of her life.

A few weeks ago, I asked her what she wanted for Christmas and she replied, "A princess clock for my new princess room." "You want a clock?" I asked. She said, "Oh yes, that would be great!" And she was serious. She really wanted a new clock!!!

She has also been obsessed with knowing the time lately too! (Remember that she's only 3!) Her new question (that she asks about 4 times a day) is "What time is it on the clock?" She used to ask "what time is it?" and I would answer with something like, supper time, bed time, quiet time, etc... She got smart and then added "on the clock" because she wanted to know the numbers.
Tom and I have been slowly teaching her what the short hand and long hands mean and she is catching on really fast! The other day I told her it was 9:55 and she said, "But Mama, the little hand is on the 11, not the 5." I was shocked! She was actually getting it!

Her other favorite thing is to "count the clock." Because we have a clock in the bathroom, she sits on the potty and asks to "count the clock." This just simply means that she counts from 1 to 12 around the clock. She loves doing it and does it over and over again.

It's kind of scary because I remember doing things like this as a kid, but I never taught her that. How is it that our kids pick up on these things? We might be a little crazy, but at least we're usually on time! :0)



By the way... this clock annoys me... 

No comments:

Post a Comment