Thursday, March 31, 2011

Wishbone Traditions

I value traditions in our family. There are just some things that I love doing every year, every bed time, or even holiday traditions that we keep, but I wasn't sure about this one...

A few days ago I cooked a chicken, the whole chicken and Tom was pulling the meat off the bones when he asked if he could keep the wishbone. I couldn't imagine why, but he put it aside. He said that he would like to let it dry out and have the girls break it in half. I remember doing this at Thanksgiving with the turkey wishbone... my sister and I would each hold one side with a pinky and yank to see who's half was the biggest. And whoever had the biggest one, was able to make a wish, or just have bragging rights for a while! :0)

So, yes I could understand saving the turkey wishbone at Thanksgiving, but the chicken bone in March? Why? Then I heard him say that he wanted to save it because it was something his Mom used to do. Any time "Memere" is mentioned I am all in! (She passed away before the kids were born, so we try to keep her 'alive' in any way possible.)

So, the chicken wishbone sat in my window sill for a few days drying out and then it was time... Tom introduced the girls to his wishbone tradition.

Here he is explaining the "rules" and they were SO excited! :0)
 First they tried using their pinkies, but it wasn't working so they used their whole hands to pull it apart!
 This is not a very good picture, but Bailee was THRILLED that she got the small piece! LOL
 Mia was showing me that she "won" and had the biggest piece of all!
 When Tom asked Mia what her wish was, she replied, "That Papa's wish will come true!" It was the sweetest thing!
After they were done, Tom told them to put their pieces in the garbage but Mia cried, "But I was to give it to the chickens!" I think she thought the chicken should have his bone back! :0)

I guess this is one of Memere's traditions that will stick around!

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog! I just awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award. Stop by http://sassyshopperreviews.blogspot.com/ to follow me back and see your site mentioned for others to follow you! :D Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete